Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June's Birthday

Once again, I am very behind. Keeping up with this blog has become more and more difficult. It's days may be numbered, but I really like looking back and seeing what was going on and when!

June turned one! Despite the rain, we had a party for June at Oregon Ridge. We were very disappointed in the weather since we wanted people to be able to hike and play outside, etc. We are grateful that so many people braved the weather to celebrate with June. She was very happy about her birthday crown and enjoyed eating her cake. She also loved opening her presents and looking at her cards. Jarrett was thrilled to have so many friends there to play with!





















 At June's 1 year appointment, she was 21.5 pounds and 29.5 inches tall. She couldn't walk at 1, but she can now! At one she was just starting to try to take some steps independently. She also wasn't sleeping through the night, but like a miracle, she hit 13 months and started sleeping from 7:30-5:00 consistently. I am starting to finally feel like I am coming out of a fog. Unfortunately, she is just getting over a cold so for a while there, I thought we were regressing in the sleep department, but she seems to be settling back in to sleeping through.

Napping, on the other hand, is a whole different ball game. She still seems to think car naps are the best and will sometimes hold out instead of napping at home. But she also hates getting into her carseat and stiffens up like a board so you can't get her in and just screams and screams! She has been doing a little bit better with napping in her crib and we are hopeful with less car rides during the summer she will settle into a routine of napping in her crib.

June is a very energetic, and happy baby. But she is very stubborn and wants what she wants. This could be a specific toy, for you to hold her, for you to put her down, for a certain song to be played, etc. I'm looking forward to the days when she can communicate more as I think this is a lot of her frustration. Jarrett has been bitten a few times when he wouldn't give up a toy. She continues to be really interested in Jarrett and wants to be able to do everything he does and doesn't want to miss out on anything. She also gets very jealous if we are holding Jarrett or if Jarrett is crying, she joins in too. They like to play together and Jarrett loves to make June laugh, especially in the car. Often times, I will try to talk to him and he will say, "No, Mommy, I am talking to June right now."

Just started walking a few weeks ago and has increased her love of climbing. She is a bit of a daredevil. She climbs up the stairs all the time, climbs into chairs that are taller than her, balances on the edge of things and would climb down the stairs if we let her. Most recently, at My Gym, she was climbing all the way up the slide, then turning around so she could slide down. She didn't want to wait for any of us to help her.

She has 8 teeth at the moment and loves to brush them (with Jarrett of course). She also loves water and taking a bath.

Some of the words we recognize are ball, milk, uh oh, mama, dada, and help (which she screams). She tries to say a lot more but we aren't always sure what she is saying. She will also repeat things. Jamal likes to get her to say, "Adorable."


Jarrett also had a recent doctor's appointment and is 38 inches and 40 pounds. And he looks and feels it. He is strong and fits comfortably in 4T clothing. Our potty training efforts are still going on, and with summer break coming up we are confident that it won't take too long to  get him out of diapers. We think he is hilarious, and he knows it. He watches everything and takes it all in. He likes to play pretend a lot. Just today,  I have blasted off to the moon, made s'mores by a pretend campfire and hid from dinosaurs. Speaking of dinosaurs, he constantly tells me on the ride home we are being chased by dinosaurs. Usually a T-Rex or a triceratops.

Gus is still his stuffed animal of choice, but his bed is now filled with several stuffed dogs, 2 pillows and the Gus look-alike (Pip). He refers to them all as "The Guys." Many mornings all "The Guys" have to come downstairs as well.

He loves to sing, and dance, and play all the instruments we have. He knows so many songs. I am surprised every time he busts out a new song. Many of them are kids songs like "Wheels on the Bus" but a lot of times, he will sing along to whatever Jamal has on in the car too.

He loves to count things and has been attempting to hold up the appropriate amount of fingers for things. But his favorite number currently is 5. "Five more minutes." "I want five bananas." He surprises me everyday with everything he knows and understands. He always asks, "Why?" for everything and keeps asking until he really understands something. If I say, " I don't know," he now says, "Why do you think?" Most recently we spent about 20 minutes two nights in a row discussing a Clifford book that we found randomly. There was a picture of a man on the roof during a fire (Clifford was rescuing them) and he couldn't understand why the man was on the roof. He kept asking me why he was there and why he was stuck, and wouldn't settle for any of my answers. I turned the next page to show him everyone was safe, and of course that one guy wasn't on the next page! So I had to try to explain that. After 2 days of this discussion, he finally accepted that the dog helped him get down and that he was happy now. I even tried to hide the book on the 2nd night and he looked all over for it.

Everyday when I pick him up he asks to go somewhere different. Mostly shopping. He always wants to go shopping. If not shopping, he will ask to go to the gym, or to see the goats, or the "slide playground."  He especially likes Target (who doesn't?)

He mostly wants to play outside, and sadly, he never wants to color with me or do crafts, unless it involves paint.

Fortunately, he is still a good sleeper, even when he has been sick.

We had a lot of adventures this past month including Jarrett's first Orioles game, a trip to Longwood Gardens, the Science center and more. Those will be coming soon (hopefully) in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment